Monday, July 29, 2013

Kale chips, things I didn't know about my kids

I've been on a Kale chip kick, I have a certain amount of allowable oil in my diet at a given time so I use it in this recipe and I get my veggies at the same time ... to my surprise my daughters love em ! I thought I had let them try it before but hey whatever gets them eating new veggies i'm down with ! :)

I've been visiting our local farmers market at Brewer park in Ottawa and I found this great organic Kale that is sold 2 bunches for 5$ if you go to a natural food store you can get a small bag of kale chips for 12$ a deal right ? pffff my way won't blow your budget and you'll be running to the local farmers market to stock up on some fresh organic kale.

so here is my easy kale chip recipe:

1 bunch of kale
oil of your choice about 1 tbsp
sea salt or spices of your choice

  • Turn your oven to 350 degrees. I have convection and turn it on 350 convect. 
  • Meanwhile wash your kale and run it through your lettuce spinner or towel dry it. Very important to get all the water dried off. 
  • I cup up my Kale in various sizes making sure to get rid of the stems. don't throw out the little pieces those are the best ! 
  • now but in a bowl and drizzle with some oil of your choice. I am currently using grape seed as I have an intolerance to olive but anything you wish will work. Try using something with higher nutrients .. not canola crappy oil. 
  • cover cookie sheet with parchment paper and place the kale in one layer on the cookie sheet. 
  • Now this is the tricky part I put in the oven and I check on it when it's start smelling like toasted kale ! because of the convection it takes less time so after about 10 minutes I keep an eye on it ... you don't even have to flip you want it crispy not soggy ... 
  • and then remove from the oven and season to your liking with any spice .. I like it with garlic sea salt ! 
  • then share with your kids !.... if you want :P 
REPEAT ! 

Here they are pictured with some spicy bison sliders ... yum ! I don't know if it's because I've been off chips for so long but these totally fill that salty, crispy, crunchy void i've been having ! :) 










No comments:

Post a Comment